With the help of pulmonary function diagnostics, we can both clarify the cause of your complaints and answer specific questions about therapy planning. The determination of blood gases, especially oxygen and carbon dioxide, also provides information on whether you need oxygen therapy or respiratory support at home.
Lung function test
First, blood is taken from your earlobe and from this sample we determine the blood gases oxygen and carbon dioxide. Then the actual lung function test takes place in a chamber, in which you perform special inhalation and exhalation exercises under the supervision of a specialist.
Lung Function Diagnostics
We also use many other methods to detect lung diseases. These include:
- Spirometry - The determination of values for lung ventilation using simple breathing manoeuvres
- Whole-body plethysmography - the determination of further values with the help of special breathing manoeuvres, e.g. for asthma or bronchial constriction
- Respiratory pump measurement - measurement of the maximum force during inhalation to draw conclusions about the effectiveness and strength of the respiratory muscles
- Measurement of diffusion capacity - measurement of the transfer of oxygen into the blood by inhalation of a harmless gas and special breathing manoeuvres
- Spiroergometry - measuring the capacity of the heart-lung system using a bicycle-based exercise stress test
- 6-minute walking test - measurement of your walking distance covered within six minutes in order to assess the course of your illness
- Bronchial provocation - inhalation of a special drug to test the bronchi for specific stimuli
We discuss the examination results with you in detail.